If we are really honest, we must recognize that, in our development work, we often offer simplistic and politically neutral solutions. High aspirations do not always translate into commensurate actions. We cannot rent ourselves a consciousness by just staying the course. Every one of us involved is sitting in a glass house. Those we proclaim to work for are watching.
The Readers in this volume convincingly argue that ignoring political and Human Rights issues will (continue to) result in non-viable development paths. That is why the ensuing pieces call for embarking in a veritable heroic struggle of ideas and actions against a host of powerful pro-status-quo special interests.
The rights-based approach we are calling for makes inclusion, Human Rights and equity real priorities.
Our public mission, then, is to re-center the development debate and to convincingly articulate the reasons for centering it around Human Rights. The Readers give you food for thought and for action for just that.
The Readers are neither systematically elaborated pieces nor do they launch new theories; they are rather true pamphlets whose provocative theses are meant to bring about real change. Get reading and form your own judgement. Only by using the concepts herein and articulating them convincingly will we begin to make headway towards desperately needed change.
- 127. IS INEQUALITY A CLEAR INFRINGEMENT OF THE HUMAN RIGHT TO HEALTH? - September 8, 2018
- 126. APPLYING THE HUMAN RIGHTS FRAMEWORK IS NOT “A” DEVELOPMENT ALTERNATIVE; IT IS “THE” ROAD TO AN ALTERNATIVE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (People’s Health Movement Latin America) - September 8, 2018
- 125. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF PUBLIC HEALTH NUTRITIONISTS REALLY CARED MORE ABOUT HUNGER AND MALNUTRITION FROM A RIGHT TO NUTRITION PERSPECTIVE? - September 7, 2018
- 459. DEALING WITH THE ISSUE OF THE HUMAN RIGHT TO HEALTH. - September 7, 2018
- 458. GLOBALIZATION PUTS THE FREEDOM OF PRIVATE BUSINESS ABOVE THE FREEDOM OF PEOPLE AND THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS. HUMAN BEINGS BECOME HUMAN RESOURCES. - September 7, 2018
- 457. THE DANGER OF ABUSING HISTORY IS THAT IT FLATTENS OUT THE COMPLEXITY OF THE HUMAN EXPERIENCE OF THE HAVE-NOTS AND LEAVES NO ROOM FOR DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS OF THE PAST. (M. MacMillan) - September 7, 2018
- 456. WHAT WE ARE NOT DOING THROUGH THE SDGs IS MEASURING THE DISPARITY REDUCTION RATIO* FROM HERE TO 2030. - September 7, 2018
- 455. TRUE DEMOCRACY IS ACTUALLY ‘THE’ DELIVERY SYSTEM OF HUMAN RIGHTS. (Shula Koenig) - September 7, 2018
- 454. THE CHALLENGE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS ACTIVISTS UNFORTUNATELY OFTEN IS THAT THEY HAVE TO DRIVE THE TRAIN AT THE SAME TIME THAT THEY ARE LAYING THE TRACKS. - September 7, 2018
- 453. VIVA LA COMUNICACIÓN! ABAJO LA TELE-COMUNICACIÓN! THERE ARE NO LONGER VISIONS, THERE ARE TELE-VISIONS; WHERE DOES THIS LEAVE HUMAN RELATIONS AND HUMAN RIGHTS? - September 7, 2018