If we are really honest, we must recognize that, in our development work, we often offer simplistic and politically neutral solutions. High aspirations do not always translate into commensurate actions. We cannot rent ourselves a consciousness by just staying the course. Every one of us involved is sitting in a glass house. Those we proclaim to work for are watching.
The Readers in this volume convincingly argue that ignoring political and Human Rights issues will (continue to) result in non-viable development paths. That is why the ensuing pieces call for embarking in a veritable heroic struggle of ideas and actions against a host of powerful pro-status-quo special interests.
The rights-based approach we are calling for makes inclusion, Human Rights and equity real priorities.
Our public mission, then, is to re-center the development debate and to convincingly articulate the reasons for centering it around Human Rights. The Readers give you food for thought and for action for just that.
The Readers are neither systematically elaborated pieces nor do they launch new theories; they are rather true pamphlets whose provocative theses are meant to bring about real change. Get reading and form your own judgement. Only by using the concepts herein and articulating them convincingly will we begin to make headway towards desperately needed change.
- 122 AS I SEE THE CHALLENGES OF THE UN DECADE OF NUTRITION: SOME KEY POINTS. - July 14, 2017
- 121 WHY POWER ONLY YIELDS TO COUNTER-POWER. - July 14, 2017
- 120 ARE THE RIGHTS OF NATURE BEING TRAMPLED? A PERSPECTIVE FROM THE ECONOMIC, SOCIAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL RIGHTS PERSPECTIVE. - July 14, 2017
- 119 YES, RESILIENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY ARE TOO NARROWLY DEFINED. - July 14, 2017
- 418 IN A WORLD DOMINATED BY MARKETS, WHERE RESOURCES FLOW TOWARD POWER INSTEAD OF NEED, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE REALLY CARED MORE ABOUT HUNGER AND MALNUTRITION FROM A RIGHT TO NUTRITION PERSPECTIVE? (Brooke Aksnes) - July 14, 2017
- 417 POVERTY REDUCTION AS A GOAL SOUNDS LOVELY, BUT THIS FAIRY TALE VISION OF DEVELOPMENT AND OF HUMAN RIGHTS BETRAYS A SERIOUS MISUNDERSTANDING OF POVERTY. (J. Hickel) - July 14, 2017
- 416 HEALTH-RIGHTS AND JUSTICE-IN-GLOBAL-HEALTH HAVE A UNITY OF PURPOSE: TO GUARANTEE HEALTH OPPORTUNITIES AND OUTCOMES FOR MARGINALIZED POPULATIONS. - July 14, 2017
- 415 INEQUALITY HAS BEEN A CHOICE. GLOBALIZATION THRIVES ON EXISTING INEQUALITIES. (Joseph Stiglitz) - July 14, 2017
- 414 THE GREATEST PUNISHMENT FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT INTERESTED IN POLITICS IS THAT THEY ARE GOVERNED BY PEOPLE WHO ARE. (Arnold Toynbee) - July 14, 2017
- 413 HEALTH CARE FOR THOSE RENDERED POOR OFTEN ENDS UP BEING POOR HEALTH CARE, SO THAT THE MORE WE TARGET BENEFITS AT THEM ONLY … THE LESS LIKELY WE ARE TO REDUCE POVERTY AND INEQUALITY. (Amrtya Sen) - July 14, 2017